- Music in film is being influenced more than ever thorough electronic music. Song writers began to play around with writing songs using electronic sounds in the 60s, but this trend didn’t really take off until the 1980s with television shows like Miami Vice, Emergency, SWAT, Knight Rider and others.
- Here are some examples of themes from some of these shows:
- In more recent years, electronic music is essential to the composition of film music. Composers must know how to use various music-notation software and DAW (digital audio workstation) like Garageband and Audacity. They also need to know about various recording applications and how they work.
- Here are a few examples of film music completely produced electronically:
- This is a good example of both live and electronic instruments being used in a score.
- Oftentimes, composers record their scores with a real orchestra and/or choir later and use the electronic MIDI instruments as a tool to show the director and other people working on the film mock-ups of what they will soon record. This helps save money if they need to make changes before printing the final product for the orchestra to play.
- Therefore, composers must not only know their craft in music, but also in electronics as well.
- A good resource that offers this information and more is the Film Music Magazine at http://www.filmmusicmag.com/